I’ve just found an interesting poster that describes how to deal with introverts.
Being an introvert myself I agree with most of the points:
- Respect their need for privacy.
- Never embarrass them in public.
- Let them observe first in new situations.
- Give them time to think. Don’t demand instant answers.
- Don’t interrupt them.
- Give them advance notice of expected changes in their lives.
- Give them 15 minute warnings to finish whatever they are doing before calling them to dinner or moving on to the next activity.
- Reprimand them privately.
- Teach them new skills privately rather than in public.
- Enable them to find one best friend who has similar interests and abilities; encourage this relationship even if the friend moves.
- Do not push them to make lots of friends.
- Respect their introversion. Don’t try to remake them into extroverts.
I’m pretty sure it is just a common sense. But it helps when people do know it.